Wednesday 5 December 2012

Jodel D 11's of New Zealand (3)


 ZK-DGV (c/n AACA/129) was built by AH (Les) Hartshorn, on the second floor of the Odlins building in downtown Wellington, where Les worked.  It had the Odlins logo on the forward fuselage.  It was first registered on 13/12/73 and its first flight was on 22/6/74 at Wellington.  It was powered by an O 200 engine.  The above photo was taken at Wellington Airport around the time of its first flight.

And the above colour photo was taken by Don Noble on 24/5/76, at Dairy Flat.   On 30/11/77 it was sold to KW Sample of Kawerau, and then on to IG and FE Williams of Auckland on 30/5/79.  It was then withdrawn from use in 1980 to add wing tanks, modify the engine cowlings and to enlarge the baggage area, and it fell off the radar for many years.

 It was sold into the Taranaki area, with ownership transferring to NC Dickinson of Stratford on 14/11/98 but it didn't see the light of day until after it was sold to S Barham and R Drew of New Plymouth on 20/6/01.  They finished the rebuild over more than 10 years and ZK-DGV flew again at Stratford on 10/9/11, an amazing 31 years after it was withdrawn from use!  It is photo'd above at Stratford by Nick Furnage.

ZK-DJQ (c/;n AACA/152) was built by Hal Roadley of Maungataroto and was first registered on16/2/78.  It is fitted with drag flaps.  It is photo'd above at the 1982 AACA flyin at Taupo.

It has spent all of its life in the Northland area, being sold to GN Johnston, JD McKay, WE Rossiter and BJ Kyte of Whagarei on 12/1/84.  It is photo'd here at the 1987 AACA flyin at Omaka.

It was sold to DB Hill of Ruakaka on 17/3/93 and to BS and G Taylor of Whagarei on 24/8/99.  It hit a cow on landing at Glenbervie on 30/9/01 and the wing was torn off..  It was rebuilt and painted with a small cow "kill" on the fuselage and it is now named "Playstation".  It is photo'd above at Dargaville in 2003 after its rebuild.
ZK-DYB (c/n AACA/181/1) was built at Tauranga by Graham French, and was first registered on 16/12/77.  It is photo'd here early on in its life at Wanganui, however I do not have a record of who took the photo.

And here it is in colour at the 1981 AACA flyin at Mt Hutt.  ZK-DYB has had a very stable life - it was owned by Graham French for many years until he sold it to AM Quayle of Pukerua Bay on 15/7/13.


  1. Enjoying the series, merci !

    Re DJQ, in the cow incident there were no injuries: the cow walked away.

  2. Great series.
    Re DJV, Les once told me he had a big problem with a compressor while working one night.
    The next day he was at his desk when he had a sudden thought as to what was wrong. He went to his workshop area and soon had everything working.
    At this same time a board meeting was under way and the noise went up the timber framed building so much that the then chairman sent someone to tell Les to shut down his flying machine.