Tuesday 14 January 2020

Te Kowhai to Kaipara Flats 9-1-2020

In my previous post I posted a photo essay on my flight from Stratford to Te Kowhai in my Jodel D9 ZK-KMM.
After about an hour and a half on the ground for a chat and coffee and lunch in their great visiting pilot's lounge, I took off from Te Kowhai at 12.45 pm and my flight North continued:

(Click to enlarge the photos to see the scenery better)

 North from Te Kowhai The Huntly Bypass is nearly completed

 Huntly off to Port

 Then follow the Waikato River North


 Carrying on at 1500 feet and 60 knots


 A bridge over the Waikato near Tuakau


 The Waikato River heads for the coast

Port Waikato in the distance, but we didn't go there.

 Arriving at the Manakau Harbour near Waiuku


 Passing the Glenbrook steel mill.

 Clarks Beach on the Manakau.


Flying up the Western coast of the Manakau, keeping under 1500 feet to stay under the Auckland International Airport airspace.


 Big Bay heading out towards the Manakau Heads


 Then I flew out through the Manakau Heads


Nearly out to the Tasman Sea

 Looking South along the coast beyond the South Head of the Manakau


Next I turned and headed North past the big expanse of sand at Whatipu Beach on the Northern Head of the Manakau Heads


Heading North past Karekare

 Then on to Piha


 Lion Rock at Piha


 More rugged coast North of Piha

 Bethell's Beach

 And on past Muriwai where I could see the gannets


 Then I followed the coast North until I got past Parakai


 And I cut across towards Shelly Beach on the Kaipara Harbour


 On past Gibbs' farm with its large art works


Then I followed the road that cuts across to Warkworth. The landmark for Kaipara Flats airfield are the big white covered glasshouses where they grow capsicums - you can see them ahead in the distance.


And in for my first landing at Kaipara Flats in ZK-KMM after a flight of 1 hour and 45 minutes.  

Honey Bebe didn't miss a beat!

5 comments:

  1. I know there is a 12 hour time difference when I fly out from the Uk,but I didn't realise there was a 1 year difference between Te Kowhai and Kaipara!
    Seriously though,great pix and I remember a lot of the sights having done some flying in NZ.All the best,Graham Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a most fascinating journey. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Changed now. Thanks Graham, and why the Veetail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks packapoo I did wonder if it would be too boring to post so many photos, so it is nice to get positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I occasionally fly the Beech bonanza( v tail) when I am in the US,and I think they are great looking aircraft. Regards Graham Veetail)

    ReplyDelete