Wednesday 8 November 2023

Question time. Smiley Face - revisited.

Yes indeed "Smiley" is the Sud Aviation Gardan GY.80 Horizon VH-YOG - being ex ZK-CLK
This is still with Allan and Anita Churn at Serpentine Airfield near Perth, WA. 
It has been in hibernation since covid.

The nose in the foreground is the Barber Snark 19-3116 and ex ZK-JIU.
First registered in NZ on 12-11-1997 and cancelled as exported on 19-02-1999.

This was purchased by Pearce Dunn from the designer/builder Bill Barber and shipped to Mildura in Victoria early in 1999. (I believe Pearce now lives in Foxton, NZ).

Pearce sold it to Barry Cooper of Melbourne, who based it at Penfield Airfield, just North of Sunbury, in Victoria. 

It has been registered as 19-3116 with Recreational Aircraft Australia (RAAus) since 03-03-1999.

It is now with Allan at Serpentine.

Quote Allan :-

I couldn't believe my luck when I learned that it was available.... such an amazing, unique, and well-built design. I spent 4 days at Sunbury dismantling it with Barry and his 2 friends. It took 4 days because a lot of time was spent joking around. We repeated Pearce's method of packing it into a 20ft "Hi-Cube" sea container. We used 6 inflatable mattresses, 10 furniture blankets, and a dozen ratchet straps to secure it.
The container travelled across Australia to Perth by rail, and was dropped at my hangar on 29 Sept 2023. The following day my son helped unload it ....in about one hour.
Now that our annual Fly-in is over, I can soon organise to have it overhauled, and back in the air.

Pearce had renamed it the "SCNARK CONDOR" as he had an interest for Luftwaffe types. 
Pearce once had a large collection of military aircraft at Mildura.


My other ex NZ aircraft the Macchi MB.308 , ex ZK-MDF.  I recently donated it to the local aviation museum at Bull Creek. They have it in a storage facility (alongside their Hawker Hunter), and have begun restoration work, for eventual display.
I retained the C-85-12 engine and Hoffman propeller.

Thanks to Allan Churn for the interesting update.

Allan Churn

No comments:

Post a Comment