Saturday 29 November 2014

Croydon Aircraft Company Resorations at Mandeville - List of Aircraft Under Restoration

As I mentioned in my previous post about the Croydon Aircraft Company operations at the Old Mandeville Airfield, there were many interesting aircraft under restoration for various customers around the world.  But I assume most of them will be test flown at Mandeville.  A list of the aircraft I saw is:

DH 60 Gipsy Moth - the wings of the Gipsy Moth were being covered when I was there.  The aircraft will eventually be put on the floats that were also in the workshop.

DH 80 Puss Moth - the fuselage frame looked complete and the engine was in place.

DH 83C Fox Moth - ZK-AQB,well advanced.  I will do a separate post on this aircraft.

DH 85 Leopard Moth - this looked quite advanced with the fuselage and wings covered.

DH 88 Comet - this is a project that was started in Canada, but has not had much done to it for some time.

DH 89 Dominie/Dragon Rapide - this aircraft is for a cusomer in Australia (this was stored in the Aviation Heritage Centre hangar).

DH 94 Moth Minor - the fuselage was on its undercarriage.

DHC 1 Chipmunks - there were 2 of these under restoration.  One was a yellow ex-Indian Air Force example with the bubble canopy while the other had the standard canopy.

And finally, an Auster Autocar was also under restoration.

Very interesting!





3 comments:

  1. Oooo an Auster! which one and where's the photo! !!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baz

    Sorry I don't know anything more than it was an Autocar. It was in the Batam production area and someone unhelpful decided that I could not take photos there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a shame. Might see if my underworld contacts can find out and I can send you the info. :-)

    ReplyDelete