Monday 20 February 2023

Homebuilt and Sport helicopters of New Zealand - Postscript

In my final post on homebuilt and sport helicopters of New Zealand, I ended by saying we don't know what we don't know.

Anonymous has left an interesting comment on that post as follows:  

I heard a story, unconfirmed, of a kitset one-man helicopter powered by rotor-tip jets built at Opotiki in the late 1970s. I cannot recall the type but it was marketed in the US at that time. Also in the mid 80s an Italian restaurant owner living in Auckland had a helicopter built which I think was his own design. The earliest rotary wing aircraft built in NZ that I'm aware of was one constructed in Auckland in the 1950s and later sold to a Palmerston North car dealer

Because some readers might have missed the comment I thought I would highlight it with a request that if anyone knows anything more about these helicopters can they please get in touch with the blog master (Dave Paull - email in the header), or leave a comment on this post.

Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

  1. I should have added to my original comment, posted above, that the helicopter built in the 1950s was incomplete when sold, I've no knowledge of it ever being completed and flown.

    ReplyDelete