Friday 17 February 2023

Homebuilt and Sport Helicopters of New Zealand - Some Other Unregistered Helicopters (3,4....?)

This is my final post on homebuilt and sport helicopters of New Zealand but we will undoubtedly see more of them in the future.  We have had a surprising number and I have listed 79 of them including a couple of drones and some unregistered ones.

This last post covers a couple of helicopters, the first one of which flew quite successfully but ran foul of CAA (shades of Geoff Williams back in the 1970s).  I will not identify the builder.

I understand this is an own design helicopter which is a great achievement.  It was powered by a two stroke V4 engine adapted from an outboard motor.  The above is a screen shot from the internet and in it you can see that it flew really well.  It has since been grounded.  I guess the moral of the story is if you are flying an unregistered helicopter do not post it on social media!

Undeterred the same builder has now built another helicopter as shown in the photo above (also taken from the internet), this time with a 2.2 litre Subaru engine.  Again it looks to be well built.  We may see this one on the register in the future?

I guess with homebuilt helicopters the helicopter is the easiest form of flying machine to quietly build "under the radar" in your shed as it does not need an airfield to operate from.  So there may be others out there?  We don't know what we don't know.


1 comment:

  1. I heard a story, unconfirmed, of a kitset one-man helicopter powered by rotor-tip jets built at Opotiki in the late 1970s. I cannot recall the type but it was marketed in the US at that time. Also in the mid 80s an Italian restaurant owner living in Auckland had a helicopter built which I think was his own design. The earliest rotary wing aircraft built in NZ that I'm aware of was one constructed in Auckland in the 1950s and later sold to a Palmerston North car dealer

    ReplyDelete