Thursday 23 February 2023

Another de Havilland Twin from Avspecs! - DH89B ZK-AKU

I don't often get down to Ardmore but every time I do it seems as if something special happens.  That was true again this afternoon as when I was driving down Hamlin Road towards the airfield and a Dragon Rapide took off and climbed out past me!  The Dragon Rapide was followed by the yellow Harvard 78 so I guessed that that was the camera plane for an air to air photo shoot.  I figured that they would be back and sure enough about half an hour later they were back overhead which gave me time to drive down to Avspecs for them to taxy in.

Taxying in was filled with high anticipation as I had not seen the aircraft completed and painted before.  And it didn't disappoint.

Then it was revealed that it was NX663HG but was flying under its taped on New Zealand registration ZK-AKU and it was marked up as New Zealand Airways (fictional I assume).

The pilot was Ryan Southam who is experienced in flying the DH89.

Then many hands pushed it back to the Avspecs hangar.  I understand it will be disassembled for export to the US quite soon.

However one special guest remained on board to celebrate the best of British!


No comments:

Post a Comment