Wednesday 31 May 2023

I don't remember when !

 Occasionally I post a photo from some years back which I feel may be of some interest
under the heading of "I remember when".

This post however shows a photo - but I do not remember when.

Can you help with a date and a story ?
As you can see it is the Hawker Siddeley 748 ZK-CWJ parked embarrassingly on the grass at Ardmore.
*************************************

Two comments.


First comment

I vaguely remember it was in the late 90's as I happened to be at Ardmore a couple of days after. We had a Cessna 421 having an interior update at Aerotrim and I believe the 748 was taxing there as well for some interior work when it for some reason taxied off the taxiway onto the grass and over a drain which collapsed. There was a video floating around of it actually happening.


Second comment 01 June at 08:45

Just read the comment posted.  Pretty sure it was the 80's, late 80's, and the visit was fog related.  It definitely happened on a Sunday afternoon.


7 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember it was in the late 90's as I happened to be at Ardmore a couple of days after. We had a Cessna 421 having an interior update at Aerotrim and I believe the 748 was taxing there as well for some interior work when it for some reason taxied off the taxiway onto the grass and over a drain which collapsed. There was a video floating around of it actually happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that Kelvin Stark in front of the RH prop in a white shirt? Which 421 is that?

      Delete
    2. I don’t see a 421 but there is a PA34 Seneca, maybe operated by Christian Aviation back in the day? And the helo I suspect is AS365 ZK-HXW.

      Delete
  2. 20th March 1988 apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - got that thanks Anon.
    I intend to do a more extensive post on ZK-CWJ during the week.
    Tks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall they couldn’t land at Auckland because of an industrial dispute with the rescue fire service so they gave Ardmore a go. Unfortunately the grass surface couldn’t support the weight while taxiing to a parking area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is correct. It was the late 80’s.

    ReplyDelete