Taylorcraft Auster 5 ZK-AVU , c/n 889 , was first registered to Ron Fechney of Omaha in July of 1950. It also is a real warbird, having served with 658 squadron of the RAF from 1944. During 1966 it was converted to a J-1Y by changing its Lycoming O-290 to a Lycoming O-320. It also got the larger tail surfaces at the same time. The North Otago Gliding Club took it on from 24-06-1975, keeping it until selling it to A D Stott of Christchurch on 09-05-1984. A couple of owners later it is now back listed with Ron Fechney at Aylesbury.
|ZK-AVU at Oamaru on 10-02-1979.. Note the longer nose with the O-320 & single exhaust stack and the enlarged fin and rudder with horn balance & the glider tow hook.|
|ZK-AVU with the late Phil Gard on theTara Hills (Wardell's) air strip on 09-01-1982.|
|Being serviced at West Melton 17-09-1996. Note the change to the spinners colour.|
|Nicked directly from the TV Ones Country Calendar program. Based and operated out of Mount White Station.|
Note the long lens distortion of the wings