Yesterday I posted about Wyn Eggleston's unregistered Birdman TL-1A Birdman with a story about its unhopeful first flight and I asked the question "Can any blog reader add anything to this story? Did Wyn's Birdman ever fly again?"
Well, we hit the jackpot when Kim Twentyman emailed that he had successfully flown the Birdman several times and he even had a photo of it flying! (from a newspaper article).
Kim wrote: "I flew the Birdman of Wyn's 4 or 5 times over a short period and the trick was to get it on the step otherwise it would drag its back end and not climb out of ground effect. Once you had mastered this it zipped along quite well and would climb at a fairly slow rate. Finally, the discovery that the lack of propeller thrust over the tailplane resulted in no elevator control (and white knuckles). This finished the flying of the Birdman. It sat for years in the Yaldhurst Museum at Harewood and may still be there. Wyn became the local agent for TEAM Aircraft and completed a Hi Max for himself powered by a 1/2 VW engine which I test flew and it was a lovely aircraft."Thanks very much for the information Kim.

No comments:
Post a Comment