Friday, 28 August 2026

Wisk Aero eVTOL Mule ZK-UZA at MOTAT 28-8-2026

I was only at the MOTAT aircraft hall 3 months ago but today I had the opportunity to visit again with a group from Warkworth and there was a new addition on display:

Th eVTOL aircraft ZK-UZA that was registered in New Zealand as a Zephyr Airworks Mule on 3/10/17 and flew as a proof of concept craft under the New Zealand Government's Airspace Integration Trials programme which facilitated the testing and development of advanced unmanned aircraft.  I saw its sister ship ZK-UZB flying at Tekapo on 9/9/19 but I had never seen ZK-UZA, which was cancelled from the New Zealand register on 13/4/21 as withdrawn from use.

Both the Zephyr Airworks Mules were examples of the fifth generation eVTOL aircraft from the company which started in as Zee Aero in 2010 with backing from Google co-founder Larry Page and at the time they were flying in New Zealand the Wisk company was jointly owned by Boeing and Larry Page's Kittyhawk Aircraft Company.

Wisk has gone on to develop its sixth generation eVTOL aircraft in the US and this is now flying.  It is planned to be used in an unmanned air taxi service in several cities across America and also in Brisbane.

This is the sixth generation Wisk eVTOL aircraft and you can see the lineage derived from ZK-UZA.


No comments:

Post a Comment