Three real tidy Austers took the time to partake.
Above is the Auster Mk5 ZK-ARR (c/n 1364). This was previously serial TJ272 with the Royal Air Force until being sold on the civil market in August 1951. It went to Singapore for a while followed by some twenty eight years in Australia. It was purchased in Australia by Richard Royds in 1988 and cancelled there in May of 1996. In NZ it came together at West Melton and was registered as ZK-ARR on 17-12-1997.
It became ZK-AVU with Ron Fechney of Omaha in July of 1950. It was converted from Auster 5 status to J-1Y (D-5 if you like) in 1966. This included the installation of the O-320 Lycoming, the enlarged rudder and the fin fillet. It spent about nine years with the North Otago Gliding Club out of the McCaw strip at Hakataramea between 1975 and 1985. It then went to private ownership but was damaged on the Gore River strip in late 1986. Repaired at Gibson Aero Ltd at Te Anau it was sold back to Ron Fechney in mid 1989.
This one served with the RNZAF from 1944 until being struck off charge in August of 1955. It then went to ag work with Ron Bush. It was cancelled in 1960 and then passed through a series of owners including time at the Yaldhurst Motor and the Gore Air Force Museums. It was finally restored to the register on 05-09-2007.
See a larger pic of it at :-
It is in a high gloss gray scheme.
Below is the De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T10 ZK-XUK (c/n C1-0087). A very apt registration as it is indeed ex UK having served as WB647 with the RAF and later with the British Army Air Corps, who's markings it still retains. It came to NZ and first flew from West Melton on 11-11-1997 for Lou McAllister from over Cust way.