Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Microlight Aircraft of New Zealand - A Photo of Pete James' Powered Easy Riser

Back in July 2025 I posted about Pete James' powered Easy Riser which I think is the first microlight to fly in New Zealand.  You can see that post HERE  In that post I mentioned that I had been at Te Kowhai in late 1977 when Pete was attempting to fly his machine and I have regretted ever since that I did not take a photo of it at the time.  However good things come to those who wait!  When I was at Russell Brodie's place at Rangitata Island recently he got out his shoe box of old microlight photos and Viola!

Here is the photo I wished I had taken!  It is the powered Easy Riser on that day at Te Kowhai on 5/11/77.  I have gone back to my original post and added this photo to it.

Thanks very much for the photo Russell - I suspect it might have originally come from Pete James.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Peter, have got some video taken off TV of it flying at Timaru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous - Do you remember the date of the video of the Easy Riser flying at Timaru? It would not be the one in the photo which ended its life in the Waikato but it could be the second one that Pete James had which was blue and white (ZK-FWA). But if the video is from around the early 1980s it may be Mark Elworthy's one. Can you send a copy of the video to me? keith.morrisKMM@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kieth, it is on VHS with about 3hrs of other stuff from that era that I need to get put on something better. It is definitely Peter James as they interviewed him along with some ANZ pilots at Timaru. Cheers Dave K

    ReplyDelete